Applications are open for the new Ontario property tax and energy cost rebates, which help small businesses with property tax and energy bills.
Businesses that are, or were, required to shut down or significantly restrict services due to provincial public health measures can apply for rebates, provided in the form of grants, to help with their fixed costs.
Businesses struggling to pay their energy bills as a result of COVID-19 may also be eligible for the COVID-19 Energy Assistance Program for Small Business (CEAP-SB), which you can apply to through your utility provider.
All small businesses that are eligible for the Ontario Small Business Support Grant are also eligible for these property tax and energy bill rebates.
In addition, businesses are eligible if they:
- Are, or were, required to close or significantly restrict services as a result of being under Control, Lockdown or Provincewide Shutdown in the COVID-19 response framework: keeping Ontario safe and open
- Were required to close or significantly restrict services as a result of being under “modified Stage 2” restrictions in the previous framework
Eligible businesses in regions that are or were subject to Control restrictions or previously modified Stage 2 restrictions include:
- Restaurants and bars
- Gyms, facilities for indoor sports and recreational fitness activities
- Performing arts and cinemas
- Bingo halls, gaming establishments, casinos, conference centres and convention centres
- Community centres, multi-purpose facilities, and museums
- Personal care services (with the exception of oxygen bars)
- Racing venues
- Meeting or event space
- In-person teaching and instruction
In addition, eligible businesses in regions subject to Lockdown measures in the previous COVID-19 response framework: keeping Ontario safe and open, include:
- Retail required to close for in-person shopping
- Shopping malls
- Personal services
- Driving instruction
- Tour and guide services
- Photography services
- Cannabis retail stores
In addition, eligible businesses in regions subject to the Provincewide Shutdown measures, include:
- Hardware stores (including big box stores) required to close for in-person shopping
- Drive-in cinemas
- Garden centres
- Outdoor sports and recreation facilities
- Day camps for children
- Pet/animal food and services
- Ski hills
- Outdoor markets (excluding grocery)
- Safety, medical and assistive devices retail (excluding pharmacies)
- Rental and leasing services
- Domestic services
- Vehicle and equipment repair services
- Veterinary services
- Cell phone and computer providers & repairs
- Media industries including film and television production (excluding radio/television broadcasting)
- Before- and after- school programs
Businesses will not be eligible if they are:
- Within the areas subject to public health restrictions, but were not required to close or significantly restrict services
- Owned by the federal, provincial, or municipal government, or by a person holding federal or provincial office
What you’ll get
Eligible businesses could get rebates for:
- Municipal and education property taxes
- Energy costs, including electricity and natural gas (or where natural gas is not available propane and heating oil)
Funding will cover the entire length of time that regionally targeted public health restrictions are in place.
Most businesses can expect to receive their rebate payments within a few weeks of submitting a complete application.
What you’ll need to apply
Business and banking information
You will need your business and banking information to apply, including:
- General business information (for example, CRA business number)
- Banking information (for example, banking institution, account number, branch code)
Bills and/or invoices
To apply, you will have to submit proof of costs.
For property tax rebates, this includes your property tax bills (or proof of costs associated with property taxes).
For energy cost rebates, this includes a digital copy of the first energy bill (including electricity, natural gas, propane or other) you received on or after the day modified Stage 2, Control, Lockdown or Provincewide Shutdown restrictions were put in place in your region. You can also submit other energy bills if your business is heated by propane or heating oil.